Reading Task

Title: Joseph Bryant

Author: Anneke

Themes are abstract nouns

The feelings and idea of the story really helped me understand the main idea/concept of the story. I think the theme to this story was love, loss and maybe hope.

The first theme is love. In the story a boy and a girl are in love or each others crash. They share each others pencils and markers and sometimes when the teacher isn’t looking the would hold hands but while he in hospital and didn’t make it she would always have his love with her.

The second theme was loss. I thought loss because the girl in the story she lost her best friend and her sweetheart. She also stastes at the end that…. “And Joseph Bryant, my fifth grade sweetheart,  is the reason why I know the true definition of love.”

And the final theme is hope. because when they were in hospital they hoped he would get better even though he was getting worse. The girl was also hoping that she would get her kiss.

“I thought Joseph was going to kiss me or tell me that he wanted me to be his girlfriend, I remember having butterflies in my stomach and wondering what my mother would say if I had to tell her that I got myself a boyfriend.”

Themes are important human issues

I think after the story the author wanted us to think about what is the main message and how it would feel like if you lost someone you loved. I personally think the main message was have faith in your self because I think he kept saying I will stay alive. and it would feel terrible if you lost someone you loved because you will never see them again. So that is what I think the main message and how it will feel to lose someone is.

Stories apply to many readers

To people that have experienced loss to someone they loved or someone they knew then this story can bring back lots of sad and unhappy memories and to people that have not experienced loss this story can really make you think about what it would feel like and makes you very emotional.

Events represents ideas

I the hole text has a decant amount of figurative speech. like in the first paragraph has like 95% of just figurative speech. here is the first paragraph and you see for your self.  

“Love is a dumb and dangerous word. People misuse the word more than any other in the dictionary. I LOVE this apple, don’t you? or I just LOVE this shirt! but do they actually mean it? Most people don’t understand the actual definition of love. I do, which is why it frustrates me so much when people say that they love each other when they don’t. I know for a fact they don’t. And don’t even get me started when people say they are  in love with someone else. That phrase is destroyed by couples that say how they are in love with someone after a month of texting. They don’t and never will understand the true meaning of love.”

Experience evolves in patterns

In this story the repeating patterns a for depression. for example…

“Three years went by. Three painful years of visiting Joseph every single day in the hospital. Well, almost everyday; sometimes he was too sick for me to visit.”

“What is cancer? and immediately she started crying.”

They are 2 examples for the repeating patterns of depression.

Fiction is instructional

In this text the author doesn’t say what the themes are so you have guess what they are and as I said before the main themes are love, loss and hope. (you can find the information about them in the Themes are abstract nouns paragraph) And in the story they wanted to change joseph so he would live and get rid of his cancer so he can be a normal boy again.