Read like a Reader

Read like a writer

Eleven

Ideas

I can relate to this. This is about a girl called Rachel and she is 11. On her birthday at school she has a situation about a red sweater that wasn’t her’s. At the time being she wishes that she had been older in this situation so she would know how to deal with this and speak up.

“Today I wish I was one hundred and two instead of eleven because if I was one hundred and two I’d have known what to say”

This was a very interesting idea because I am 11 and I don’t feel different at all. I mean I have learnt more more but I still feel like I am 10.

How did she come up with this idea?

Is this a true story?

Organization

I thought it was a very interesting way to set out a story. So first it kind of starts in her head and she is talking, then it starts talking about a red sweater and how it is not her’s but the teacher is accusing her that it is her’s because someone dobbed her in.

“ if I was one hundred and two I’d have known what to say when Mrs. Price put the red sweater on my desk. I would’ve known how to tell her it wasn’t mine”

Why did she lay it out that way?

Why did she chose a red sweater?

Voice

I think this story would have been directed more towards 9-12 yr because it is saying that even if your 9, 10,11 or 12 maybe higher you will always have a piece of you from when you are little.

“when you’re eleven, you’re also ten, and nine, and eight, and seven, and six, and five, and four, and three, and two, and one.”

Word Choice

The words in this text were very familiar to me so if I were to say it in tier 1,2 or 3 I would say it is tier 2 because there were very familiar words but there not to easy. It also use some metaphors and similes.

“ you grow old is kind of like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk or like my little wooden dolls that fit one inside the other, each year inside the next one.”

Why did she chose to use easy but not to challenging words?

Sentence Fluency

In Eleven  there are lots of short and long sentences and for some of the long sentences it took like 2 or 3 lines for one idea to be explained probably

Short

“Maybe she’s feeling three.”

Long

” you grow old is kind of like an onion or like the rings inside a tree trunk or like my little wooden dolls that fit one inside the other, each year inside the next one.”

Conventions

Punctuation

She mainly used commas, full stops and talking marks in her writing. She did use question marks and apostrophes but not as much as the first 3.

“That’s not, I don’t, you’re not…Not mine,” I finally say in a little voice that was maybe me when I was four.”

Grammar and spelling

Her grammar was very accurate and the same for spelling she was very wise about her word choice and her spelling was also very good.

One thought on “Read like a Reader

1. I thought that it was interesting when in Ideas, you said when you turn 11, you don’t feel any different because I pretty much wrote the same thing. Personally, I think that the reason the author wrote the story about that idea is because most people can relate to that idea. Good work on you homework!